The Common European Framework of Reference for description of language levels is used to define levels in all languages spoken in Europe. By using the descriptions below you can assess your own language level.
All our Danish courses are planned according to The Common European Framework of Reference. When you know your language level it is easy for you to find the right course.
Here you can see the levels of the framework and what you will learn at each level.
The CEFR descriptions are divided into six levels:
- A1 Basic level - for beginners and almost beginners
- A2 Basic level
- B1 Intermediate level
- B2 Upper-intermediate level
- C1 Advanced level
- C2 Proficiency level
Basic level A1 - for beginners and almost beginners
Level A1 consists of two courses: Danish for beginners 1 and Danish for beginners 2. You can take the courses each at a time, or you can take a crash courses with both courses in one course.
After level A1 you will have mastered the following language skills:
- Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
- Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has.
- Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
Basic level A2
Level A2 consists of two courses: Danish basic level 1 and Danish basic level 2. You can take the courses each at a time, or you can take a crash courses with both courses in one course.
After level A2 you will have mastered the following language skills:
- Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
Intermediate level B1
Intermediate level B1 consists of four courses: Danish intermediate level 1, 2, 3 and 4. You have to take all four courses in order to finish level B1.
After level B1 you will have mastered the following language skills:
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
Upper-Intermediate level B2
Upper-Intermediate level B2 consists of four courses: Danish upper-intermediate level 1, 2, 3 and 4. You have to take at least to courses at level B2 in order to be ready for Prøve i Dansk 3.
After level B2 you will have mastered the following language skills:
- Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialization.
- Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Advanced level C1
We offer regularly classes at advanced level C1, also courses that prepare you for Studieprøven.
After level C1 you will have mastered the following language skills:
- Can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning.
- Can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
- Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
- Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organizational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
Proficient level C2
We don't offer classes at proficient level C1, but we offen arrange private one-to-one teaching at level C2. Please contact us.
After level C2 you will have mastered the following language skills:
- Can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read.
- Can summarise information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation.
- Can express him/herself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in more complex situations.